Recipe by ChefRed
Very good meat alternative! Great as an appetizer, sandwich, or main meal topped off with good chunky tomato sauce. Comes from my mother Adelia who has been making these forever. Try these, you will love them!
- 4 baby eggplants, skin-on and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cracked garlic cloves, plus
- 2 finely chopped cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried hot red chili pepper, diced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil or 1 1⁄2 cups light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the diced eggplant and (must leave skin on or will not come out right) in a small deep bowl. Season with salt and compress with heavy object. Let it stand for approximately 1 hour. Squeeze out excess juice and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, begin to heat 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 cracked garlic cloves, hot pepper, eggplant for approximately 3 minutes until garlic brown and crisp. Discard the garlic.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, add grated cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, chopped fresh basil, and parsley. Add the eggplant, , 2 garlic finely chopped cloves, and bread crumbs, and mix thoroughly.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan or skillet. Wet your hands and begin to scoop 1/2 cup of mix to make patties. Start to fry when oil is very hot. Cook for 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from pan and place on tray lined with paper towels to cool and absorb excess oil. Serve immediately.