Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've made these for a long time. These Italian eggplant balls are a great substitute for meatballs. Use them just like meatballs, in sauces, in recipes, as a side dish, etc. They can be a vegetarian substitution for many dishes. I like these best fried because I like them crispy. You could bake them instead. They go great "parmesan style" too, in a casserole dish, topped with sauce, parmesan & mozzarella cheese then baked...
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced (I use food processor & finely mince garlic, onion & eggplant)
- 1 very large eggplant (or 2 Medium Sized Eggplants, peel 1st then dice in food processor)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (I mince this in food processor too)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated cheese
- In food processor, prepare the ingredients that need to be minced or diced mentioned above.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil & gently sauté garlic until golden brown.
- Add diced eggplant & water – then cover & simmer under low heat until eggplant is VERY soft. Drain if watery when done then transfer to large bowl.
- Combine eggplant, breadcrumbs, parsley, eggs and cheese in large bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Form into balls (same size as you prefer your meatballs to be) and fry in olive oil in large pan or bake in over for 30-35 minute at 325º or until brown.
Very good recipe, maybe just a little heavy on the bread crumbs. I might try using fresh bread crumbs next time and season it accordingly.
Very good. I made them as you said & added a touch of oregano, Baked at 325F for 15 minutes & nothing started to brown, 375F for 20 more minutes with very little browning, broiled for another 3 minutes and that did the trick. Thank you.