Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
These delicious spirals are a zesty combination of eggplant and chicken crusted with savory Italian breadcrumbs and bubbling with mozzarella and parmesan! They look like you slaved, when they're really very easy!
- 1 large purple eggplant (ripened)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice thin layer of skin off one side of eggplant. Lay cut side down and slice thin layer off those sides. Cut off stem. Slice eggplant into 8 strips (appx. 1/4 inch). Note: strips should be thin but pliable.
- Pound chicken between 2 sheets of wax paper until thin but not falling apart. Slice each breast into 4 strips.
- Lay each slice of eggplant flat on a sheet of wax paper. Lay a strip of chicken on top of each eggplant. Roll tightly into spirals and secure with half a toothpick, pushing it in as far as possible.
- Whisk egg and oil in shallow bowl. Roll eggplant and chicken to coat, then roll in breadcrumbs.
- Place in oiled casserole dish, one end up, spaced slightly.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, until chicken is completely cooked. Turn onto opposite end about 20 minutes through baking. Sprinkle with mozzarella then parmesan and broil until cheese is golden brown. Be careful to remove toothpick before you eat. Serve with pasta and sauce of choice.