Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Hearty and delicious, full of fibre and protein, quick and easy. Adapted from a recipe by Kristen Swensson at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/ea9xIE
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄3 cups small whole wheat pasta (such as orzo or acini de pepe)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced, whites and greens divided
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped spinach or 3 cups swiss chard or 3 cups arugula, stems removed
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine chicken broth, water, pasta, chickpeas, scallions, and nutmeg over high heat. Cover. Once mixture comes to a boil, uncover and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add greens, stir and cook 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir soup rapidly, then slowly drizzle eggs into soup near the edge of the pot, stirring constantly. (If you add them to the center, they'll clump up too much. Cook 2 minutes. Season with pepper. Add scallions and lemon juice. Serve with Parmesan sprinkled on top.