Recipe by Debbwl
A tasty and budget friendly meal that's inspiration comes from a local Italian restaurant. Prep time and cook time do not include making or grilling the polenta. As I use Parmesan cheese polenta I have made the night before and therefor just slice and grill it. You could also buy and use pre-made polenta although to me it has less flavor.
Top Review by loof
Great simple recipe full of flavor! I don't care for onions so left them out. I made this for a quick lunch so I didn't bother with the polenta, just served with some toasted garlic bread. The cook time was perfect for the eggs, firm but with liquid yolks. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 14 ounces diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices prepared polenta, grilled
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add diced onion sauteing till pale give or take about 3 minutes. Add garlic and diced tomatoes and heat for about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Break eggs into skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Top each egg with slice of provolone. Cover skillet and reduce heat to low. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes or untill eggs are firm with soft centers and cheese has melted.
- Carefully spoon tomatoes and egg into two flat soup bowls and place two slices of grilled polenta into each of the two bowls on outer edge.