Recipe by ItalianMomof2
The Easter dinner was always the best at Nanny's and I remember her making several types of pies for the meal. This is a savory pie filled with Italian meats and cheeses. The recipe makes 2 deep dish pies. It's best served at room tempature. Can be made several days before eating, just remember to try and take the chill off of it. You dont want to cut it or serve it hot, as the cheeses will still be runny and won't stay together. This dish freezes well. We usually eat this on Easter, but you can make it and serve with a nice salad on the side for dinner. Delicious! I use premade frozen pie crusts or buy the Pillsbury ones in the refrigerator section and fill my own pie plates.
- 4 pie crusts
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 6 eggs
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, Shredded
- 1 lb deli ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb hard salami, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, Chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup provolone cheese, Chopped
- 1 egg white, mixed well
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 325 degrees.
- Mix Ricotta cheese in large mixing bowl and add the eggs one at a time until all incorporated.
- Stir in Mozarella Cheese, Ham, Hard Salami, Prosciutto, Parmesan Cheese & Provolone Cheese. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the pie shells evenly, and smooth the top of each.
- Take the remaining pie crusts and place on top of each pie. Crimp the edges to make sure you seal them well.
- Cut 3 or 4 vent holes in the top, to allow steam to escape while cooking. I usually try to cut leaf shapes and then use the cut out and place it on the top of the pie in a design.
- brush top of pie with egg white.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour or until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool and serve when room tempature. You dont want to serve it hot as the cheeses will make it real runny and messy. Allow to come to room tempature before putting in refrigerator.