Recipe by jessica327
This is an old family recipe and Easter tradition.
Top Review by cathalane
Great, easy to follow recipe.... I changed the filling a bit, using lemon and orange zest plus a dash of amaretto, instead of vanilla, cinnamon and lemon juice. The crust I followed exact and it was perfect! I was looking for a recipe that had a crust like this, it more like shortbread than actual pie crust. Everyone thought I bought this from a bakery. THANKS!
- 3 lbs ricotta cheese
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten, but not fluffy
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add eggs to cheese and mix in sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Mix crust ingredients till they come together.
- Divide dough so 2/3 is in one ball and 1/3 is in another ball. On a lightly floured board, roll out the larger ball until it is about 12" long and 16" wide. Very carefully place the dough in a 9" x 13" glass baking dish. If it crumbles or cracks, that's okay. Just press it together with your fingers. Trim any dough hanging over the edges and hold in reserve.
- Pour filling into the crust and dot with the 4 pats of butter.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut into long strips. Criss-cross the dough in a wide lattice formation over the top of the filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the cheese comes out clean.
- Serve at room temperature.