Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
An excellent bread for a brunch.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 ounce active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 7 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup mixed chopped candied fruit
- 1⁄4 cup chopped blanched almond
- 1⁄2 teaspoon anise seed oil
- vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add milk and butter; beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes on high. Stir in fruit, nuts and aniseed; mix well.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled; about 1 hour.
- If desired, dye remaining eggs (leave them uncooked); lightly rub with vegetable oil. Punch dough down. Divide in half; roll each piece into a 24" rope. Loosely twist ropes together; place on a greased baking sheet and form into a ring. Pinch ends together. Gently split ropes and tuck eggs into openings. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minute Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.