1 hr 20 mins
From Daniela and Stefania, called the Italian Mamas on My Kitchen Rules. This recipe won the peoples choice in the episode in which they cooked it, though they didn't end up serving it with the chocolate sauce as it kept ceasing up on them when they made it, though they were making 600 to 800 of them. HAVE NOT INCLUDED standing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g potatoes (desiree used, peeled)
- 1/2 cup milk (125ml)
- 25 g butter
- 300 g plain flour (preferably 00 plus extra for dusting)
- 155 g caster sugar
- 7 g dried yeast
- 1 egg (lightly whisked)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 200 g chocolate (dark eating chopped)
- 200 ml thickened cream (heavy cream)
- 1Place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water and bring to the boil over a medium heat, then boil gently for 30 minutes or until tender aand then drain.
- 2Push through a potato ricer into a large bowl.
- 3Gently heat milk and butter in a small saucepan over a low heat until butter melts.
- 4Combine flour, 55 grams of the sugar and the yeast in a medium bowl.
- 5While potatoes are still warm, add the flour mixture with the egg and warm milk mixture and using your hand, bring all the ingredients together to form a soft dough.
- 6Divide dough into 4 portions and roll each portion into a 1.5cm thick log and then cut into 10cm lengths and shape each length into a ring to form a doughnut.
- 7Place 3cm apart on a lightly floured tray.
- 8Stand rings, covered with a clean tea towel, in a warm place, for 30 minutes or until they double in size.
- 9Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar in a shallow bowl, then set aside.
- 10To make chocolate sauce, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- 11Heat cream in a small saucepan until hot, then pour over chocolate and stand for 1 minutes, then mix until smooth and then cover with plastic wrap to keep warm.
- 12Half fill a deep frying pan with oil and heat over a high heat, oil is ready when a cube of bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 10 to 15 seconds.
- 13Deep-fry doughnuts in small batches for 1 minute or until lightly golden and then drain on paper towels and then roll in cinnamon sugar.
- 14Serve doughnuts with the chocolate sauce for dipping.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Doughnuts With Chocolate Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 85.3
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.6 mg
- Sodium 9.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 1.8 g