Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Daniela and Stefania, called the Italian Mamas on My Kitchen Rules. This recipe won the peoples choice in the episode in which they cooked it, though they didn't end up serving it with the chocolate sauce as it kept ceasing up on them when they made it, though they were making 600 to 800 of them. HAVE NOT INCLUDED standing time.
- 250 g potatoes (desiree used, peeled)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (125ml)
- 25 g butter
- 300 g plain flour (preferably 00 plus extra for dusting)
- 155 g caster sugar
- 7 g dried yeast
- 1 egg (lightly whisked)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 200 g chocolate (dark eating chopped)
- 200 ml thickened cream (heavy cream)
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water and bring to the boil over a medium heat, then boil gently for 30 minutes or until tender aand then drain.
- Push through a potato ricer into a large bowl.
- Gently heat milk and butter in a small saucepan over a low heat until butter melts.
- Combine flour, 55 grams of the sugar and the yeast in a medium bowl.
- While potatoes are still warm, add the flour mixture with the egg and warm milk mixture and using your hand, bring all the ingredients together to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 4 portions and roll each portion into a 1.5cm thick log and then cut into 10cm lengths and shape each length into a ring to form a doughnut.
- Place 3cm apart on a lightly floured tray.
- Stand rings, covered with a clean tea towel, in a warm place, for 30 minutes or until they double in size.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar in a shallow bowl, then set aside.
- To make chocolate sauce, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat cream in a small saucepan until hot, then pour over chocolate and stand for 1 minutes, then mix until smooth and then cover with plastic wrap to keep warm.
- Half fill a deep frying pan with oil and heat over a high heat, oil is ready when a cube of bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 10 to 15 seconds.
- Deep-fry doughnuts in small batches for 1 minute or until lightly golden and then drain on paper towels and then roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Serve doughnuts with the chocolate sauce for dipping.