Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Cooks.com website is where I found this recipe for zucchini cake. This recipe will be included in the Zaar World Tour 2005 swap.
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups zucchini, "about 3, shredded and unpeeled
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, halved and chopped, approximately 1/2 pound
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and generously butter a 10 x 4 1/4 inch tube pan. In a large bowl beat eggs well, stir in sugar and blend in oil. Beat 1 minute, add zucchini, mix well.
- In medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Fold this into zucchini mixture, stir in nuts and raisins. Turn batter into well buttered tube pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool about 20 minutes. Invert cake onto dessert platter and serve with whipped cream.
Following the directions, the cake was tasty but very dry. If I made it again I would add some kind of liquid to it.
This cake was moist and tasty, but I may add more spice next time. (extra cinnamon, and perhaps nutmeg or allspice). Also would be good with orange zest or lemon zest. I think I would cut down amount of oil next time. I don't think, with 3 eggs and zuchinni for moisture, that much is needed. The only sub I made was dried cherries for raisins, which worked well. Served with a dollop of lemon non-fat yogurt, instead of whipped cream.
This cake is delicious! Only alterations on the recipe...DH ate all the darn raisins...so I used a combo of currants and dates. It's not too sweet..just the way we like our cake! I served it with this mornings coffee! It's a winner..and I'll be making it again! Thank you!