Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an authentic Italian deli submarine sandwich, try to use the best quality cold cuts and a fresh crusty loaf French or Italian bread, if you are a sandwich lover like my family is, then you will simply love this! Since I really don't bother measuring when I make this sandwich the amounts stated are just estimated you can adjust the amounts to taste but please try to use all the ingredients listed for the best Italian sub sandwich you will ever have!
- 1 loaf unsliced bread (use a crusty French or Italian loaf about 15-inches long)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (can use more) or 1⁄4 cup salad dressing (can use more)
- 2 ripe firm tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced (Italian ham)
- 6 ounces italian dry salami
- sliced cheddar cheese (to taste)
- 6 ounces ham slices (just use the regular sliced ham)
- sliced provolone cheese (to taste)
- sliced dill pickle (to taste)
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 10 small sweet pickled peppers (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup Italian salad dressing (or to taste) or 1⁄4 cup vinaigrette (or to taste, I use Kittencal's Creamy Italian Salad Dressing)
- Slice the loaf of bread in half lengthwise,.
- Spread both sides with mayo or salad dressing.
- Layer the bottom half of bread starting with sliced tomatoes, then prosciutto, then salami, then cheddar slices, then ham, then provolone cheese slices, then sliced dill pickles.
- Top with shredded lettuce then sprinkle with black pepper.
- Top with the pickled peppers.
- Spoon the Italian vinaigrette over the filling.
- Cover with the other top half of bread.
- Press down firmly with your hand.
- Slice as desired.
I didnt care for the combination of sweet pickle and dill pickle in the sandwich. I might make again, but will leave out the sweet pickles next time.
Very good sandwich. We used a bit less of of cold cut ingredients, but enjoyed this sandwich for a fast supper. Thanks for sharing!