Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Cook's Encyclopedia of Italian Cooking
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 egg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- oil (for deep frying)
- Soak the cauliflower in a bowl of salted water. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg. Season and beat in the flour. The mixture will be very thick. Add the wine. If necessary add more to make a fairly runny batter. Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Steam or boil the cauliflower until just tender, do no overcook. Cut it into small florets when cool.
- Heat the oil until a small piece of bread sizzles as soon as it is dropped inches (About 360° F) Dip each cauliflower piece into the batter before deep frying until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and serve warm.