I grew up with this recipe. My grandmother would sometimes cook hers without the ground meat and would add a handful of fettucini to the pot.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 -3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, sliced
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 cucuzza, peeled and cubed
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups water
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet, drain and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, add the olive oil and sauté the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic for about 4-5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the pot along with the can of whole tomatoes, add the cucuzza, and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for around 45 minutes or until the squash is cooked.