Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Cupcakes have become very popular lately. I do not recall where this recipe is from, possibly Cuisine Magazine, but I have made them. They were very good despite being alittle labor intensive. Nice for special occasions.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
CREAM TOGETHER AND ADD
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 6 eggs, seperated (reserve whites)
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
BEAT AND FOLD IN
- 6 egg whites (reserved earlier)
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 325*; line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners and coat with nonstick spray.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl; set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter in a stand mixer with a paddle attatchment on medium speed until white and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in syrup and vanilla until incorporated.
- Mix 1/2 the dry mixture into butter mixture, followed by buttermilk, then remaining dry ingredients; blend just until incorporated.
- In a bowl with a mixer on high speed, beat egg whites into stiff peaks; fold into batter.
- Fold hazelnuts and coconut into batter.
- Fill liners to the top with batter and bake until toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20-25-minutes.
- Cool Cupackes in the pan for 20-minutes; transfer to rack.
- Frost when cool.
- CREAM CHEESE ICING:.
- 2 packages (8-oz. each) cream cheese, softened.
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 cups).
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut syrup.
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream.
- 1 lb. powered sugar, sifted.
- Whip cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl with a mixer at medium speed until combined.
- Add syrup and cream; beat in powdered sugar until creamy.
- Generously frost each cupcake.
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (5 oz.).
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts.