Recipe by KandB
I just got my hands on this recipe from a friend. I haven't tried them yet, but supposed to be yummy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 c)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut syrup
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, chopped
Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 1/ c)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hazelnut syrup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 lb powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F; line two 12 cup muffin pans with paper liners and coat with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- cream sugar and butter in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on medium speed until white and fluffy; about 5 minutes. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition; mix in syrup and vanilla until incorporated. Mix 1/2 the dry ingredients into butter mixture, followed by the buttermilk, then remaining dry ingredients; blend until just incorporated.
- Beat whites to stiff peaks in a bowl with a mixer on high speed; fold into batter with coconut and hazelnuts. Fille liners to the top with batter and bake until toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan for about 20 minutes, transfer to a rack, then when completely cool frost with icing.
- Whip cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Add syrup and cream, then beat in powdered sugar until creamy. Generously frost each cupcake.
- Garnish with shredded coconut and hazelnuts.