Prep1 hr 30 mins
I just got my hands on this recipe from a friend. I haven't tried them yet, but supposed to be yummy.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 c)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, chopped
Cream Cheese Icing
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened (1 1/ c)
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 lb powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 325F; line two 12 cup muffin pans with paper liners and coat with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- cream sugar and butter in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on medium speed until white and fluffy; about 5 minutes. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition; mix in syrup and vanilla until incorporated. Mix 1/2 the dry ingredients into butter mixture, followed by the buttermilk, then remaining dry ingredients; blend until just incorporated.
- Beat whites to stiff peaks in a bowl with a mixer on high speed; fold into batter with coconut and hazelnuts. Fille liners to the top with batter and bake until toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan for about 20 minutes, transfer to a rack, then when completely cool frost with icing.
- Whip cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Add syrup and cream, then beat in powdered sugar until creamy. Generously frost each cupcake.
- Garnish with shredded coconut and hazelnuts.
These are the best. I have made them many times, everyone thinks they're wonderful. I have made some other gourmet type cupcakes that were good, but these just are the best.
Definately the best cupcakes I've ever made. I swapped pecans for the hazelnuts because I couldn't find hazelnuts in the store. Left everything else the same. They were to die for. I brought them to a baby shower along with two other types of cupcakes and there were leftovers of the other two but not the italian creams. Everyone was asking for the recipe and one woman said it was the best cupcake she'd ever eaten! This will now be my go-to cupcake for events.
Very delicious. I think they could be a little more moist for Italian Cream but that might just be the way I made them. I don't have a stand mixer so my arms definitely got a good work out.