Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from a Italian Cookbook.
- 1 cup Crisco
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- cream cheese frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- chopped nuts (optional)
- Cream together Crisco, margarine, and sugar, add egg yolks.
- Add baking soda to buttermilk and add, alternately with cake flour, into creamed mixture.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Fold in coconut, nuts and vanilla.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes in a greased and floured 15x10 inch jelly roll pan.
- Let cake cool completely then add cream cheese icing.
- Combine cream cheese,margarine, powdered sugar, vanilla and nuts, mix well with electric mixer and spread on cool cake.
Yuuuummmmmyyyy! This is soooo delicious. Love this recipe. Will difinetly be a fav.