1/4 Photos of Italian Cream Cake (old family recipe)
1 hr 5 mins
Kim D.'s Note:
This recipe has been in my family for years, and in my opinion is the best Italian Cream Cake! It's very moist and always gets lots of compliments!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2For cake: Cream butter, shortening and sugar.
- 3Add egg yolk one at a time, beating after each addition (this is an important step!) Stir in baking soda and buttermilk.
- 4Add sifted flour into batter, alternating with the buttermilk mixture.
- 5Add vanilla, coconut and chopped pecans.
- 6Beat egg whites and fold into batter.
- 7Pour into a greased and floured 9X 13-inch cake pan for a sheet cake, or two 9-inch round cake pans for a round layered cake.
- 8Bake for 45 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- 9Remove from oven, cool completely before frosting.
- 10For frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter.
- 11Add vanilla, powdered sugar, and pecans.
- 12Continue to beat until you get a spreading consistency.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Cream Cake (old family recipe)
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.5
- Calories from Fat 339
- Total Fat 37.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 128.9 mg
- Sodium 277.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 56.8 g
- Protein 7.1 g