1 hr 20 mins
Chef Johnsonville's Note:
This is a combination of a few zaar Italian Cream cake recipes. I couldn't decide so I combined them. I am doing this so I can cut down on the size of the cake so we don't eat it all after serving it. 30-35 minutes for 9" rounds or 35-45 mins 13x9 pan. The frosting recipe has been doubled. Store in refrigerator.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs, separated at room temp
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted sifted or 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut (optional)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1Beat at shortening and margarine at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- 2Gradually add sugar, beating well until smooth.
- 3Separate eggs. Add yolks, one at a time, beating until well blended after each egg. Holding back the egg whites.
- 4Add vanilla, beat until blended.
- 5Combine soda and flour, add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 6Stir in coconuts and pecans if desired.
- 7Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, fold into batter.
- 9Beat together cream cheese and margarine.
- 10Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
- 11Frost cake and top with pecans.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1225.1
- Calories from Fat 577
- Total Fat 64.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 156.6 mg
- Sodium 641.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 156.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 130.9 g
- Protein 10.9 g