Recipe by Chef Johnsonville
This is a combination of a few zaar Italian Cream cake recipes. I couldn't decide so I combined them. I am doing this so I can cut down on the size of the cake so we don't eat it all after serving it. 30-35 minutes for 9" rounds or 35-45 mins 13x9 pan. The frosting recipe has been doubled. Store in refrigerator.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs, separated at room temp
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted sifted or 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut (optional)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 (16 ounce) confectioners' sugar, package sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat at shortening and margarine at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well until smooth.
- Separate eggs. Add yolks, one at a time, beating until well blended after each egg. Holding back the egg whites.
- Add vanilla, beat until blended.
- Combine soda and flour, add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in coconuts and pecans if desired.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, fold into batter.
- Beat together cream cheese and margarine.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Frost cake and top with pecans.