1/3 Photos of Italian Cream Cake
1 hr 25 mins
Southern Living; a classic
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
Nutty Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- 2Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until well blended after each addition.
- 3Add vanilla; beat until blended.
- 4Combine flour and soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 5Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- 6Stir in coconut.
- 7Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- 8Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch round baking cakepans.
- 9Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
- 11Spread Nutty Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- 12Nutty Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla at medium speed with and electric mixer until creamy.
- 13Add sugar, beating at low speed until blended.
- 14Beat at high speed until smooth; stir in pecans.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 767.0
- Calories from Fat 371
- Total Fat 41.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 139.8 mg
- Sodium 373.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 75.2 g
- Protein 7.7 g