4 hrs 25 mins
I find that I keep collecting more an more Mediterranean recipes. Italy isn't at the bottom of my list and that's because everything is just so good! This is no exception and it makes a big batch so you'll have leftovers if you have a smaller family. Leftovers are good as they are always better on the second day for lunch. I served with crusty multi-grain rolls and a simple green salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 12 ounces new potatoes (the tiny ones are my favorite, halved or quartered if needed)
- 2 medium carrots or 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 cup basil leaves, spinach leaves (or mix them all if you like) or 1 -2 cup torn fresh escarole (or mix them all if you like)
- 1Trim fat from meat, cut meat into 2-inch pieces and set aside.
- 2In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots or parsnips, onion, and fennel. Add meat; sprinkle with rosemary.
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, wine, tomato paste, tapioca, pepper, and garlic. Pour over mixture in cooker.
- 4Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Just before serving, stir in basil. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Countryside Beef Soup for the Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.6
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 664.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 36.6 g