Recipe by Leopard Apron
This is a hearty soup with lots of flavor and pretty colors. Serve with freshly grated good quality Parmesan cheese and a crusty slice of bread....delicious and perfect for a cold winter's evening!
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 59.14 ml dry white wine
- 453.59 g sweet Italian sausage, coarsely crumbled
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes (I use petite dice)
- 283.49 g package frozen spinach
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 29.58 ml flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 425.24 g can red kidney beans
- 425.24 g can cannellini beans
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 236.59 ml small shell pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, heat oil then butter over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, Italian seasoning and bay leaf. Meanwhile, while onion is cooking, in small skillet, brown crumbled Italian sausage and set aside.Cook until onion is translucent, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, add white wine and cook until liquid is nearly gone. Add browned sausage to onion mixture and cook for a few minutes to blend.
- Add broth, tomatoes and frozen spinach. Bring to slow boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up spinach. Rinse and drain canned beans and add to pot. Add parsley, salt, pepper and pasta. Cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning as needed, ladle into soup bowls and garnish with cheese.
- You can add a little more broth or water to adjust "soupiness" to your liking - I like mine more chunky!