Recipe by Dancer^
This soup is substantial enough for supper, along with a crisp salad and a loaf of crusty bread, or you can serve it for lunch on a weekend.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 -10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 cups good-quality vegetable broth
- 12 ounces fresh tortellini or 12 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 cups ripe tomatoes, diced (or one 28-ounce can, with liquid)
- 1 lb spinach, washed and stemmed, coarsely chopped if large
- 10 -20 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and cook halfway, about 5 minutes for frozen pasta, less if using fresh.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce heat to simmer, and cook just until the pasta is tender.
- Stir in the spinach and basil and cook until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with the grated cheese.