Recipe by Annacia
This is a great tasting soup and is really good anytime of the year but is very well suiter to winter. I always add 1/2 a can of Romano beans that I have microwaved (in their juice) long enough to make sure that they are tender. Yummm
Top Review by Charlotte J
This was super easy to make. I used both zucchini and yellow summer squash. I only used 1 teaspoon of oil and sauted the onions and peppers first, then added the zucchini. I also added a little extra basil and oregano. This makes a great low calorie soup. I'll be making this again to help use up my supply of zucchini and summer squash. Made for *Photo Tag Fall 2009* game
- 8 ounces focaccia bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (4 cups)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped zucchini, and or 2 1⁄2 cups summer squash
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth or 3 1⁄2 cups chicken basic soup stock
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic, undrained
- finely shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread bread cubes in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan cook zucchini or yellow squash, sweet pepper, and onion in hot oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock or broth and undrained tomatoes.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Top each serving with toasted bread cubes and, if desired, Parmesan cheese.