These are cookies my grandmother used to make for Christmas every year. We always filled them with pre-made mincemeat or the filling in the recipe, but she has down two others in the recipe as well - ground raisins with cinnamon, cloves and sugar/orange juice/sweet wine, and almond paste with brown sugar and rum flavoring (meant to be sweet). Be creative with the frosting colors and sprinkles - that was the only part I was allowed to help with and we always tried to make them as "pretty" as possible.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups pastry flour
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (says a pinch)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped (pecans work too)
- 1/2 cup raisins, ground (in a food processor)
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1Sift together flours and salt.
- 2Cut shortening into flour mixture.
- 3Melt 1/2 + 1/3 cup sugar in 1/2 cup water and pour into flour mixture and mix.
- 4Roll out and cut into circles the size of a large can like fruit comes in, about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- 5Make the filling by mixing together nuts, 2 tbsp sugar, and raisins.
- 6Place a tablespoonful of filling on one side of each circle.
- 7Wet the edges of the circle, fold over (should look like a half moon), and seal with a fork.
- 8Prick the top of all assembled cookies with a fork to vent.
- 9Bake at 400F for 7-10 minutes, until just turning golden.
- 10Let cool.
- 11Dust lightly with powdered sugar or make frosting by mixing 1 tbsp water, powdered sugar, and vanilla. If desired, frosting may be tinted with food coloring and sprinkles may be put on cookies immediately after frosting.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Christmas Cookies (Filled)
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.6
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 2.3 g