Recipe by Pikake21
I saw these on the FoodNetwork show Everyday Italian, and my mouth would not stop watering! I think the fact that polenta is added to these cookies is very interesting. I will be trying them out in a couple of days, so I'll keep this updated!
Top Review by Mystikvelvet
The cookies have a great flavor, but you must use really finely ground cornmeal, or else they'll end up too crunchy/gritty. They're pretty rich with all the butter, so one cookie pretty much fills me up. I'm not sure I really loved these cookies with the cornmeal texture, but the flavor was delicious! I think if the amount of cornmeal was reduced, and the amount of flour was increased to compensate, it might be better.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal or 1 cup polenta
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the Chocolate Cookies, in a large bowl use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and sugar. In another medium bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal or polenta, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir to combine using a wooden spoon. Place the dough on a sheet of plastic wrap. Press the dough into a 1-inch high round. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Roll out the dough to between 1/8 and 1/4-inch thick. Use a 1 3/4-inch round cookie cutter to cut out the dough. Bake on a heavy baking sheet for 15 minutes. Place the baking sheets on a wire rack to cool cookies.
- Meanwhile, to make the Orange Filling, combine the butter, powdered sugar, orange zest, and salt in a medium bowl. Use an electric mixer to cream the ingredients together.
- To assemble the cookie sandwiches, place about 1 teaspoon of the Orange Filling on a cookie. Top with another cookie and press the cookies together. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 day.