Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
My Mom has been baking these cookies for years. It's not Christmas without these on the cookie tray. But they're yummy any time of year.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces devil's food cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cloves (or 1 tsp. cloves, 1 tsp, pumpkin pie mix)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- milk (enough to make it runny)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix first 5 ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Shape into walnut size balls.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for about 8 minutes.
- Frost the entire cookie when cookie is still warm.
- Makes 5 dozen cookies.
I made this and thought it was great. (If you wanted to make it more "traditional Italian Chocolate Balls" to do that you would add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon pepper). Then I frosted it with chocolate whiskey frosting :)