Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
My grandmother made these all the time when we were little - great for evening discussions over coffee!
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Beat butter until softened. Add sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder; beat until combined. Beat in eggs and as much of the flour as possible. Stir in remaining flour by hand along with the sliced almonds.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a long log on a slightly greased cookie sheet. Flatten logs until 2inches wide (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch high). Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes. Logs will be fairly hard, but not completely. Cool for 45 minutes to an hour, then cut diagonally into 1/2 inch wide slices. Place back on the cookie sheet with cut side down and cook in 325°F for 8 minutes on each side. Slices should be hard and brittle.
Excellent and cheap to bake popular GL Henning (Vryheid,South Africa)