Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This chili recipe is basic, but is a popular one among family members. If you're in the mood for a chili that's not to pungent but also has a good flavor (not to mention filling on a cold day!), then look no further. For this recipe, I buy most of my ingredients at Trader Joe's because the quality and taste is not compromised but it is still convenient. If you don't have a store like this, just check your ingredient listings on the products at your local trusted grocery store.
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, basil infused if available
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- In a large pot, begin browning ground turkey. As the turkey begins to brown, add onions and garlic and continue to stir until turkey is fully browned. Do not drain.
- Add tomato paste and stir until fully incorporated. Add tomato sauce and stir again.
- Slightly rinse kidney beans (does not have to be fully cleaned) and add to pot. Pour in chicken broth and stir again.
- Add spices to pot (basil, oregano, sage, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, pepper, and bay leaf) and stir until all ingredients are equally mixed. Add olive oil and stir again.
- Bring to a boil and immediately turn temperature down to low. Allow chili to simmer for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours.
- Chili will be VERY hot so allow to cool before consuming. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- After cooling, chili can be divided into containers and frozen up to 3-4 months. (To cook from frozen, allow chili to defrost about 30 minutes and warm in microwave until reaching desire temperature.).