Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious Italian chili made with Italian sausage.
- 1 (19 7/8 ounce) package Italian sausages
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cream sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper
- Grill Italian sausage according to package directions; cut into half moon slices and set aside.
- In soup kettle, saute onion, celery, sweet peppers and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add sausage and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Tip: Sprinkle chili with grated Asiago, Romano or Parmesan cheese.