Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Different and delicious, high protein & low fat.
- 1 lb cooked chicken, diced
- 46 ounces tomato juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (fire roasted)
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup diced and sauteed' onion
- 15 ounces cannellini beans, drained
- 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 15 ounces black-eyed peas, drained
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn, drained
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional) or 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- In a 5 quart soup pot or Dutch oven, bring tomato juice, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and spices to a simmer on medium heat.
- Next add drained vegetables and chicken and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Note - Sugar can be substituted with Splenda or just leave out. I use it because it keeps the tomatoes and their juices from being so bitter.
- Note 2 - Cannellini beans are just white kidney beans and chick peas are just garbonzo beans.