Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A hearty warming soup with all the added vegetables to make this a complete meal.
Make and share this Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 leftover chicken carcass, with meat
- water, to cover
- 1 -2 garlic clove
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced in coins
- 1 -2 small zucchini, sliced in small pieces
- 1 cup frozen spinach (defrosted)
- 28 ounces Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian spices
- 2 bay leaves
- 30 ounces chicken broth
- parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces small shell pasta (optional) or 4 ounces tortellini (optional)
- Cover chicken in large soup pot with water and bring to boil. Add chopped onion, garlic and carrots. Simmer on low till vegetables are tender and meat is hot.
- Strain the chicken meat from the pot and dice chicken in small pieces. Skim for any bones or fat. Return cut up chicken to the pot. Add the tomatoes, zucchini, spinach and seasonings.
- Simmer for at least 40 mins more on low till all the flavors blend.
- May add small shell pasta or tortellini as desired in the end till tender. *But this raises the calories if you're counting.
- May garnish with parmesan cheese.
- Serve with Crusty Italian bread and a salad.