Great way to warm up the tummy on a cold winter's night. Do not let the long list of ingredients scare you off - this is simple and so good. From Taste of Home, submitted by John Croce (Massachusetts). Serve with crusty Italian bread. My kids love this too.
- 4 chicken breast halves (bone in)
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 carrot, quartered
- 3 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 -8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- In a 5 quart Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken to a platter to cool and strain the broth, discarding the vegetables and bay leaves.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard, cutting chicken into bite-size pieces - set aside.
- Return broth to Dutch oven and add tomatoes, onions, parsley, ketchup, salt, rosemary, basil, garlic and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, then add beans, cheese and chicken and allow to heat through.