1/2 Photos of Italian Chicken Soup (With Kidney Beans)
2 hrs 15 mins
mums the word's Note:
Great way to warm up the tummy on a cold winter's night. Do not let the long list of ingredients scare you off - this is simple and so good. From Taste of Home, submitted by John Croce (Massachusetts). Serve with crusty Italian bread. My kids love this too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breast halves (bone in)
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 carrot, quartered
- 3 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 -8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1In a 5 quart Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients and bring to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Remove chicken to a platter to cool and strain the broth, discarding the vegetables and bay leaves.
- 4Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard, cutting chicken into bite-size pieces - set aside.
- 5Return broth to Dutch oven and add tomatoes, onions, parsley, ketchup, salt, rosemary, basil, garlic and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, then add beans, cheese and chicken and allow to heat through.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Chicken Soup (With Kidney Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.0
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 940.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 12.8 g