Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I bought a box of frozen breaded eggplants, then had to figure out what to do with them! Eggplant Parmigiana would have been just too easy, so I decided to do this instead. You can kick up the flavor by using provolone cheese instead of mozzarella. You can also add a slice of proscuitto between the chicken and the eggplant, if you wish. I was just trying to keep this recipe as economical as possible.
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen breaded eggplants (cutlets)
- 8 ounces linguine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 thin-sliced chicken cutlets, about 1 lb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (25 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 4 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaf
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake eggplant according to package directions (which is approximately 10 minutes). Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook, turning once, until lightly golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- On same pan used to bake eggplant, place chicken cutlets in single layer. Top each cutlet with about 2 T. sauce, eggplant slices, 2 more T. sauce and sliced cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 minutes. In pot, toss pasta with remaining sauce; heat through. Serve chicken with pasta and garnish with basil leaves.