1/2 Photos of Italian Chicken Meatball Soup With Barley
1 hr 35 mins
Northwest Lynnie's Note:
This soup bursts with flavor. Now that I've moved back to "The Great Northwest", it has become a favorite on rainy, gray days. Serve with crusty bread and a salad of spinach and tomatoes topped with toasted pine nuts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed and divided
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground chicken thighs or 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1Mix seasonings and dried herbs in a small bowl.
- 2Rinse barley and drain it.
- 3Combine barley in a large soup pot with the 9 cups of chicken broth, about HALF the herb mixture, and 3 of the cloves of crushed garlic.
- 4Bring to a simmer and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, mix together the meatball ingredients and form into balls the size of walnuts in the shell (you will get 20 or more).
- 6When the barley/broth mixture has simmered for 30 minutes, add in the remaining 3 crushed garlic cloves, the rest of the seasonings and dried herb mixture, the meatballs, and the carrots and onion.
- 7Bring soup back to a low simmer, and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring gently every 10 or 15 minutes so meatballs won't stick to the bottom or break apart.
- 8Serve soup topped with chopped parsley and a generous handful of grated Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Chicken Meatball Soup With Barley
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.3
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 103.0 mg
- Sodium 828.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 30.1 g