Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
The smell of this makes me "weak in the knees". HA! Italian is my heart.:)
Make and share this Italian Chicken Cacciatore recipe from Food.com.
- 3 -4 lbs chicken breasts, and thighs (cut up)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tablespoons pancetta or 4 tablespoons bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (Lambrusco only)
- 1 (1 lb) canitalian-peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock, homemade
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce, homemade
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt, pepper, and flour, shaking to remove the excess flour. Heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large non-stick high-sided frying pan set on high heat. (I use my electric frying pan for this.) Add the chicken to the pan and cook until well-browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Save the chicken fat left in the pan, adding enough of the oil to make 4 tablespoons Cook the onion and bay leaves over medium heat till tender. Add the garlic, pancetta, red pepper flakes, and half of the parsley. Cook for 3 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook for 3 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the chicken stock, tomato sauce, and browned chicken pieces. Break the tomatoes into smaller pieces. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish. Cook the sauce 5 more minutes. Taste for salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining parsley on top and serve.
- (I have also posted the recipes for the homemade chicken stock and the homemade basic tomato sauce if anyone needs it.).