1 hr 5 mins
The flavors in this dish are not subtle, but zesty and hearty. It's simple to make, and great to serve family or dinner guests.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage or 1/2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut in 4 sticks
- 1/4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup red wine or 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Pound chicken flat until very thin.
- 2I place my chicken in a zip lock bag while pounding to keep the mallet from sticking to the chicken.
- 3Remove skins from sausage, unless you have bulk sausage.
- 4In large skillet, cook sausage until done.
- 5Pour off most of the fat, leaving drippings in pan.
- 6Spread 1/4 of the sausage on each chicken breast and place a cheese stick at one end of the flattened chicken.
- 7Roll up the chicken over the cheese, then fold in the sides continuing to roll the chicken breasts like an egg roll,encasing sausage and cheese.
- 8In a bowl, mix flour, salt and oregano.
- 9Dredge chicken rolls in mixture.
- 10In pan drippings, brown chicken on all sides over medium heat.
- 11You do not have to cook completely, just brown.
- 12Remove chicken from pan.
- 13Add olive oil to skillet; then saute onion, peppers, and mushrooms for 1-2 minutes.
- 14Add chicken rolls to skillet, then tomatoes, red pepper flakes wine, basil and pepper.
- 15Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Chicken and Sausage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 659.5
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 137.0 mg
- Sodium 1231.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 49.4 g