Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
The flavors in this dish are not subtle, but zesty and hearty. It's simple to make, and great to serve family or dinner guests.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage or 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut in 4 sticks
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- Pound chicken flat until very thin.
- I place my chicken in a zip lock bag while pounding to keep the mallet from sticking to the chicken.
- Remove skins from sausage, unless you have bulk sausage.
- In large skillet, cook sausage until done.
- Pour off most of the fat, leaving drippings in pan.
- Spread 1/4 of the sausage on each chicken breast and place a cheese stick at one end of the flattened chicken.
- Roll up the chicken over the cheese, then fold in the sides continuing to roll the chicken breasts like an egg roll,encasing sausage and cheese.
- In a bowl, mix flour, salt and oregano.
- Dredge chicken rolls in mixture.
- In pan drippings, brown chicken on all sides over medium heat.
- You do not have to cook completely, just brown.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add olive oil to skillet; then saute onion, peppers, and mushrooms for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken rolls to skillet, then tomatoes, red pepper flakes wine, basil and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
This was an excellent recipe so full of flavour. I do think a lot depends on the italian sausage that you use as to the final flavour you will get. My Italian sausage was sort of hot and sweet from my favourite butcher. I also used my favourite wine that I am drinking now a nice Australian Merlot. I must say I tried this on a couple of guests and they were impressed and asked for the recipe. Well done Geema.