Recipe by Geema
The flavors in this dish are not subtle, but zesty and hearty. It's simple to make, and great to serve family or dinner guests.
Top Review by Latchy
This was an excellent recipe so full of flavour. I do think a lot depends on the italian sausage that you use as to the final flavour you will get. My Italian sausage was sort of hot and sweet from my favourite butcher. I also used my favourite wine that I am drinking now a nice Australian Merlot. I must say I tried this on a couple of guests and they were impressed and asked for the recipe. Well done Geema.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage or 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut in 4 sticks
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound chicken flat until very thin.
- I place my chicken in a zip lock bag while pounding to keep the mallet from sticking to the chicken.
- Remove skins from sausage, unless you have bulk sausage.
- In large skillet, cook sausage until done.
- Pour off most of the fat, leaving drippings in pan.
- Spread 1/4 of the sausage on each chicken breast and place a cheese stick at one end of the flattened chicken.
- Roll up the chicken over the cheese, then fold in the sides continuing to roll the chicken breasts like an egg roll,encasing sausage and cheese.
- In a bowl, mix flour, salt and oregano.
- Dredge chicken rolls in mixture.
- In pan drippings, brown chicken on all sides over medium heat.
- You do not have to cook completely, just brown.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add olive oil to skillet; then saute onion, peppers, and mushrooms for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken rolls to skillet, then tomatoes, red pepper flakes wine, basil and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes.