Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A welcome change from traditional spaghetti and meatballs! I got this recipe from Campbell's website, and made some of my own changes, which are listed below. This is a big hit with my family and have been asked to make it often. I have occasionally substituted the chicken with sausage and it came out just as great!
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 680.38 g boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into strips
- 1-2 medium onion, chopped (depending on preference)
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced (depending on preference)
- 2 (226.79 g) can sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 737.08-793.78 g jarprego traditional Italian sauce (you can use any kind you have on hand)
- 1419.54 ml cooked whole wheat spaghetti
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 0.25 ml oregano
- 0.25 ml sweet basil
- 0.25 ml parsley flakes
- Sauté peppers, onions, mushrooms and garlic in a large skillet until the peppers are slightly tender.
- Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside.
- Add vegetable oil to warm skillet. Place cubed chicken into the skillet and cook on medium heat until browned; approximately 15 minutes.
- Return sauteed vegetables to skillet with chicken.
- Add sauce to the skillet and heat through. Add salt, pepper and additional spices if needed**.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
I had extra peppers (orange and red) on hand, and chicken breast in the freezer - and was tired of the usual stir-fry. This was an excellent solution. Delicious, easy, and the leftovers reheated wonderfully! This is going onto the regular rotation - thanks!
Excellent recipe! I used 1 medim onion and 3 large garlic cloves. This was great, and indeed, a fabulous spaghetti and meatbal substitute. Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Spring 2010