Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Posted for a request for chestnut puree recipes. Can be made up to a week in advance, keep undecorated, wrapped & stored in an airtight container.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chestnut puree
- 9 eggs, separated
- 7 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 1⁄4 cups double cream
- Preheat oven to 180c/350 degrees F.
- Grease a springform cake tin& line.
- Cream butter& three-quarters of the sugar.
- Fold in two-thirds of the chestnut puree, alternating with the egg yolks,& beat.
- Fold in the sifted flour.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Beat a little of the egg whites into the chestnut mixture, until evenly blended, then fold in the remainder.
- Gently pour the cake mix into the tin.
- Cook for 1 1/4 hours or until cooked.
- Leave the cake in the tin& pirece holes evenly all over the cake with a skewer.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of the rum over the top& allow to cool before removing from the tin.
- Cut horizontally into two layers.
- Place the bottom layer on a serving plate.
- Beat the cream, rum, sugar& chestnut puree until thick.
- Spread two-thirds of cream on the bottom layer& place the other layer on top.
- Spread the remaining cream over the top& sides of the cake.
- Decorate with piped cream stars.