This can be a great main dish. I love bocconcini (mini mozzarella balls) and that is one of my favorite things about this salad. It is just delicious!
- 1 (16 ounce) round loaf crusty bread
- 6 ounces bocconcini (1 cup, halved)
- 5 ounces provolone cheese, cut into 3/4-inch by 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 ounces prosciutto or 4 ounces deli ham, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup assorted pitted deli olive
- 3 ounces pepperoni slices, 3/4 cup
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 5 cups salad greens
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- Cut off top third of bread; cut into 3/4-inch pieces.
- Place on baking sheet, let stand at room temperature about 1 hour to dry.
- Meanwhile, prepare salad; in large bowl, toss bocconcini, provolone, prosciutto, tomatoes, olives, pepperoni and onion with bread cubes and dressing.
- Gently stir in salad greens and basil.
- Spoon into bread bowl; serve any remaining salad in serving bowl.