Recipe by s'kat
An elegant and festive appetizer. Recipe from Susan Stein. Prep time includes chilling time.
Top Review by natureprincess
This recipe was given to me by a coworker about 10 years ago, and I have made it for the holidays almost every year since. It has become a family tradition that everyone looks forward to. Be prepared to use more than 9 slices of cheese. No matter how many times I make it 9 is never enough. Plus, placing the cheese before assembling the terrine is an art form and any mistakes can be fixed with a well placed piece of cheese. Overall, this recipe both looks good and tastes great - be prepared for many compliments!
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 9 slices muenster cheese or 9 slices mozzarella cheese, divided (1-ounce)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (7 ounce) jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- For sauce: Drain whole tomatoes, reserving 1/4 cup juice.
- Chop tomatoes and set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until tender.
- Stir in chopped tomato, 1/4 cup reserved juice, bay leaves, sugar and basil; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 3-5 minutes or until thickened; remove from heat.
- Remove and discard bay leaves; stir in sun-dried tomatoes.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- For terrine: Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with mixer until creamy.
- Add parmesan and pesto; beat until smooth.
- Set mixture aside.
- Line a 3-cup bowl or mold with plastic wrap, allowing edges to overhang 6-7 inches.
- Diagonally cut 5 slices Muenster cheese in half; arrange cheese triangles in bowl, slightly overlapping to line bowl.
- Spread half of cream cheese mixture over cheese; top with half of basil-tomato sauce.
- Cut 2 slices Muenster cheese in half crosswise; arrange cheese rectangles over tomato mixture.
- Repeat with remaining cream cheese mixture, basil-tomato sauce and 2 slices Muenster cheese cut into rectangles.
- Fold plastic wrap over layers, sealing securely; place a heavy object on top to compact layers.
- Chill at least 8 hours or up to 3 days.
- To serve: Invert terrine onto a serving platter, peel off plastic wrap.