1/2 Photos of Italian Cassoulet (Italian Chili)
2 hrs 45 mins
Blue Bustard's Note:
I have been “evolving” this recipe for a couple of years as an alternative to the standard (mostly boring) chili that gets presented in the yearly cookoff. This IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!!!! Nevertheless, it is eminently edible in this configuration. I’m still developing it (sliced mushrooms added last time, OK, but just cluttered up the effect.) Next time maybe I’ll chunk the onion instead of dice, or substitute eggplant for some of the bell pepper. You will notice there is neither salt nor pepper in this recipe – you won't need any!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 large onion, minced (white, yellow or whatever)
- 3 green bell peppers, chopped, 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 habanero peppers, finely minced
- 12 -15 garlic cloves, minced (1 bulb)
- 12 -15 garlic cloves, chopped (1 bulb)
- 28 ounces whole canned tomatoes, with liquid
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 lbs dried navy beans, soaked overnight, partially cooked, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth (R.L. Schreiber is best)
- 2 tablespoons cracked dried rosemary
- 1Simmer beans about an hour to an hour and a half in plenty of water until almost done. You don't want the beans disintegrating during the next stage of cooking.
- 2Drain and set aside.
- 3Add olive oil to large, heavy pot.
- 4Cook sausage, pepper, onions and coarse garlic until sausage is no longer pink, stirring to break up meat into chunks, about 3/8” or so.
- 5Add tomatoes, minced garlic, beans, broth, habaneros and rosemary.
- 6Bring to simmer, cover and simmer an hour or so – until beans are done and rosemary has absorbed enough liquid to be comfortably edible.
- 7Refrigerate for one day.
- 8Then reheat amounts as needed and serve with Pugliese and a fine Chianti.
- 9Makes about a gallon.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Cassoulet (Italian Chili)
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 665.3
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 71.5 mg
- Sodium 1115.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.2 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 33.5 g