Recipe by byZula
This is a favorite! Very good and very versatile. I got this recipe through a recipe swap; I don't remember who gave it to me though. I like to add fresh garlic and a little brown sugar to the sauce to cut back on acidity. Sprinkling cheese between the layers adds a great touch!
- 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups meatless sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add meat and onions and cook until onions are lightly browned.
- Add spaghetti sauce and seasonings.
- Cook 5 mins.
- ,stirring to prevent sticking.
- Spoon 1/3 of the meat mixture into a 13x9x2" baking dish.
- Cover with 1/2 the potatoes.
- Repeat layers, ending with the meat.
- Cover tightly.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for about one hour or until potatoes are done.
- Remove cover.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 10 minutes and serve.