Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is one of a number of historical recipes I am posting from my cookbook collection. It is adapted from Jessie Marie DeBoth's Cook Book, published in 1940. Per Lorimama's review, I've adjusted the prep time.
- 4 cups carrots, cut in matchstick strips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 onion, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a skillet or large saucepan and cover tightly.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, or until almost tender.
- Remove cover and continue cooking until water evaporates, watching carefully to prevent burning.
I was just expecting a nice side dish but this actually came across as kind of a comfort food (meaning the flavor was something from my childhood). Used a mandoline to make quick work of carrots matchsticks. Thanks for the post.
A yummy variation that I will certainly make again. Enjoyed the celery in this. Next time I would add the water near end of cooking. Made for CQ 2014 as part of Italy trip. Arrivoderchi!
Very good ! I made the recipe as directed. Great flavor.