Tasty treat from many carnivals in Italy. Posted for Zaar World 06.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Using electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl till fluffy.
- 2Beat in the eggs and brandy.
- 3Beat in the salt.
- 4Add the flour and beat until blended.
- 5Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until a soft dough forms.
- 6Form the dough into a ball.Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.Shape the dough pieces into balls.Wrap the dough balls with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 7Working with 1 dough ball at a time, roll the dough ball into a 12 inch diameter round.
- 8(the dough should be very thin and almost transparent).Using a fluted pastry cutter, trim the edges to form a square shape.Cut the dough into 1-inch strips.Cut each strip in half crosswise to form 5-inch long strips.
- 9Gently stretch the strip so that you have enough dough to tie a bow.Repeat with the remaining dough strips.Gather the dough scraps, then reroll and cut them to make additional.
- 10Line a baking sheet with paper towels.Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan over medium heat to 375 degreesF.Working in batches, fry the pastries until they puff and become golden, turning once, about 2 minutes total.Using tongs, transfer the pastries to the paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain the excess oil.
- 11While still hot, dust generously with powdered sugar and serve.
- 12Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Carnival Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.0
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.2 mg
- Sodium 75.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 1.6 g