Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty treat from many carnivals in Italy. Posted for Zaar World 06.
Make and share this Italian Carnival Fritters recipe from Food.com.
- Using electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl till fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and brandy.
- Beat in the salt.
- Add the flour and beat until blended.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until a soft dough forms.
- Form the dough into a ball.Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.Shape the dough pieces into balls.Wrap the dough balls with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Working with 1 dough ball at a time, roll the dough ball into a 12 inch diameter round.
- (the dough should be very thin and almost transparent).Using a fluted pastry cutter, trim the edges to form a square shape.Cut the dough into 1-inch strips.Cut each strip in half crosswise to form 5-inch long strips.
- Gently stretch the strip so that you have enough dough to tie a bow.Repeat with the remaining dough strips.Gather the dough scraps, then reroll and cut them to make additional.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan over medium heat to 375 degreesF.Working in batches, fry the pastries until they puff and become golden, turning once, about 2 minutes total.Using tongs, transfer the pastries to the paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain the excess oil.
- While still hot, dust generously with powdered sugar and serve.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.