Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tasty treat from many carnivals in Italy. Posted for Zaar World 06.
Make and share this Italian Carnival Fritters recipe from Food.com.
- Using electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl till fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and brandy.
- Beat in the salt.
- Add the flour and beat until blended.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until a soft dough forms.
- Form the dough into a ball.Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.Shape the dough pieces into balls.Wrap the dough balls with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Working with 1 dough ball at a time, roll the dough ball into a 12 inch diameter round.
- (the dough should be very thin and almost transparent).Using a fluted pastry cutter, trim the edges to form a square shape.Cut the dough into 1-inch strips.Cut each strip in half crosswise to form 5-inch long strips.
- Gently stretch the strip so that you have enough dough to tie a bow.Repeat with the remaining dough strips.Gather the dough scraps, then reroll and cut them to make additional.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.Heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan over medium heat to 375 degreesF.Working in batches, fry the pastries until they puff and become golden, turning once, about 2 minutes total.Using tongs, transfer the pastries to the paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain the excess oil.
- While still hot, dust generously with powdered sugar and serve.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.