Recipe by tigra
I'v had this recipe for 20 years. It was given to me by my Brother in laws mother (Italian). I have on occassion substitued the ground beef and pork for ground chicken and/or turkey. Everyone in my family drools when they know I'm making it.
Top Review by Fofi
This was really tasty. I used a store mix of 4 cheeses (emmental, parmesan, mozzarella and something else) and I also added Ricotta cheeseto the beef mixture by mistake. It was great...fast since I didn't have to cook the manicotti ahead. Thanks.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream or 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 dash pepper
- 200 g cannelloni tubes or 200 g manicotti, can be used
- 796 ml spaghetti sauce or 796 ml homemade spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- In oil in a large frypan, cook and stir onion, garlic until the onion is tender.
- Add beef and pork and continue cooking until beef is brown. Remove from heat and drain excess oil.
- Mix in half the parmesan cheese, cream, eggs and seasonings.
- When cool enough to handle, stuff uncooked cannelloni noodles with mixture. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 3.5 litre pan. Arrange stuffed cannelloni in a single layer and pour remaining sauce over, being certain to cover all the pasta.
- Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and dot with butter.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 F for 55 -60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. (during last 10 minutes shredded mozzeralla can be sprinkled on top and the foil removed if desired.).