Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A recipe from the cookbook "The Comfort Food Diet" of Taste of Home. I made it in the weekend and me and DH loved it. There is no rice in it.
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (I used a red bell pepper)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Place cabbage in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 inches of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, green pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the cabbage in a 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of beef mixture. Repeat layers (dish will be full). Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 F for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
I didn't use the green pepper and we thought the sauce was very tasty. I did use two cups of mozzarella and cheddar mix for the cheese. 1/2 cup of cheese wouldn't have been enough for us. Once cut the casserole was really watery. We enjoyed it though. The longer it sat, the better it was.
Full of flavor...although we were hoping for a bit more...like red pepper flakes...or maybe some jalapeno's...it just needed a little kick...it's easy to prepare and we almost always have all of the ingredients available...thanks for posting! :)