A recipe from the cookbook "The Comfort Food Diet" of Taste of Home. I made it in the weekend and me and DH loved it. There is no rice in it.
- 1 medium head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (I used a red bell pepper)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Place cabbage in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 inches of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, green pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place half of the cabbage in a 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with half of beef mixture. Repeat layers (dish will be full). Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 F for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.