Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Syllabub blog at blogspot.com. Use this to fill layers of Chocolate Sour Cream Cake. Yum!
Make and share this Italian Buttercream recipe from Food.com.
- 295.73 ml sugar (about 8 3/4 ounces or 250 gm)
- 5 large egg whites
- 0.25 ml cream of tartar
- 453.59 g unsalted butter, chilled
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- brandy or liqueur, to taste
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar and 2/3 cup water to a boil. Continue boiling until syrup reaches 238F on a candy thermometer (soft-ball stage).
- Meanwhile, place egg whites in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on low speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and beat on medium-high speed until stiff but not dry; do not overbeat.
- With mixer running, add syrup to whites in a thin stream, beating on high speed until no longer steaming, about 3 minutes. Add butter bit by bit, beating until spreadable, 3 to 5 minutes; beat in vanilla and brandy. If icing curdles, keep beating until smooth.