Recipe by Marie
This is my all time best recipe! Try it and it will become a favorite of yours too. I found this more years ago than I care to remember in a magazine. It's a very rare kind of recipe that you don't come across too often.
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons cocoa
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups Burgundy wine
- 2 cups chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Place raisins in cold water and bring to boil, then drain.
- Measure raisins after draining.
- Cream butter, sugar and shortening.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with wine.
- (Batter will turn a grayish color- no problem, it looks normal when baked).
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Bake in 3 greased and floured 9x5x3 loaf pans at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before turning out to cool on wire racks.
- Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over top of bread.
- Note: I like to bake these in mini foil pans (cooking time will need to be adjusted) and use them as a part of my cookie tray to give to friends at Christmas.