Recipe by stephanierndos
Instead of having the same old hamburgers, try this great Italian burger loaded with fresh herbs, & garlic. What really gives it that great flavor is the crispy Salami and Mozzarella - fabulous, Mangia!
Top Review by adopt a greyhound
Loved these burgers. I would be careful with the salami, I checked at 13 min. and they were over done. Maybe 10 min. next time. Great flavor in the burger and very easy to do. Loved them with Recipe #55840.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano (Fresh greek or italian -minced)
- 2 teaspoons italian basil (fresh minced)
- 1 -2 minced garlic clove (depending on your taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (may want to use less if you are sensitive to heat spices)
- 2 tablespoons romano cheese (Freshly grated, pecorino romano or any paremesan type cheese will do)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices hard salami
- 1 cup shredded light mozzarella cheese
- Italian bread (good crusty type or Ciabatta)
- olive oil (preferrably E.V.O.O., Extra Virgin)
- prepared marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the ground turkey and the first 9 ingredients well - then, divide evenly and shape into burger patties, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil, or - place a silpat on a cookie sheet & preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place the salami slices evenly (but not touching) on the covered cookie sheet. Bake salami in the 325 degree oven for 15 minutes - then, transfer salami slices to a plate covered with paper towels to absorb the excess oils.
- Grill burgers either on a hot outdoor grill, or cast iron stove top grill - approximately 5 minutes per side for medium rare - longer for well done (whatever your preference may be). Slice the Italian bread or Ciabatta into even slices - enough for 2 slices per patty & brush or use your 'misto' sprayer on one side with E.V.O.O. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)& grill (oil side down) to get the grill prints on the bread. Once Burgers are cooked, remove to a platter where they can rest for approximately 5 minutes. Remove grilled Bread and place 1/4 cup of the shredded light Mozzarella cheese, then the Burger, then the Salami (2 slices per burger). You can then serve the burgers with either a very good prepared Marinara Pasta Sauce or your favorite condiment.